Glasses do tend to make your eyes look smaller over time. However, that nowhere means that your eyes have physically shrunken or changed in size.
Your specs produce a certain lens power which leads to the minification of your eyes. The stronger the power, the more its effect is. Here’s more about what happens behind the lenses and how their effect can be minimized.
Lenses in glasses for myopia (near-sightedness) work by decreasing the size of your retina to improve your long-distance vision. And this is why your eyes appear smaller behind the glasses. This effect is especially noticed in people with a prescription higher than -4,00 diopters.
The fact that glasses anyway don’t affect the size of your eyes doesn’t mean that you won’t have to deal with small-appearing eyes. However, there are several ways to tackle this effect and enhance your eyes for the best look. Here are some tips on how you can make your eyes look bigger:
- Pick on the right frame: Always choose the frame that perfectly fits your face shape and size. Also, avoid large and thick frames as they tend to increase the distance to your eyes and make them look smaller. Small, thinner lenses can be best optimized for showing the most natural size of your eyes.
- Go for thinner lenses: Thinner lense like aspheric or toric lenses can reduce the minification effect to an extent. However, the only drawback here is that such lenses make your glasses way too expensive.
- Eye Makeup: Makeup is the easiest and the best way to make your eyes appear larger. Line your lower eyelid with any lightly colored liner like white or beige for that instant touch of pizazz!
- Use contact lenses: What if you eliminate the root cause of small appearing eyes? Replace your regular glasses with contact lenses to enjoy seamless peripheral vision and freedom of movement. This corrective eyewear comes with a bounty of benefits.
Contact lenses are the most convenient and cheapest way to deal with this optical illusion for once and all. With contact lenses, there is no minification as they are placed right on your cornea; hence, there is a negligible distance between your eyes. As a result, your eyes appear natural regarding their size.
A quality pair of contact lenses come with several advantages, including:
- The snuggly fit of the contact lenses gives you the perfect peripheral vision – ideal for sports activities or driving.
- Glasses can easily slip and slide off your nose, even during trivial movements. Plus, they fog up in a flicker! However, you can avoid these issues with contact lenses and enjoy all your favorite things hassle-free and crystal-clear sight.
- Contact lenses are trendy, affordable, and easier to handle with low maintenance. Today, they’ve become a popular choice, especially among people with a higher prescription. However, the best part is that now you can buy contacts without prescription. Nonetheless, make sure always to purchase lenses that your eye-care specialist has prescribed.